Rule 6.1 of the Hawaii Professional Rules of Conduct states that a lawyer should aspire to provide at least fifty hours of pro bono services per year.
Please check with the following legal service providers to find out how you can help:
- Access to Justice Room at the Honolulu District Court The Honolulu District Court Access to Justice Room is a joint effort of the Judiciary, the Hawaii Access to Justice Commission, the Hawaii State Bar Association, and the Legal Aid Society of Hawaii to increase access to justice for self-represented litigants at the state District Court. Volunteer attorneys are needed to provide legal advice through short-term limited legal services and help self-represented litigants better understand the court process and the law, which may apply to their case. The hours of the Access to Justice Room are: Mondays and Wednesdays weekly, from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.; and the first and third Fridays of the month from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Training for attorneys wishing to volunteer will be held at the HSBA. Please contact Brian Simon at the HSBA office at 808-792-7347 for training dates. Also sign up at: http://www.volunteerspot.com/login/entry/443224216012 (Volunteer attorneys provide limited legal assistance to self-represented litigants with legal advice on civil matters related to landlord-tenant cases, collection cases, and temporary restraining order cases which involve non-family members or parties who are not now, or have not been in a dating relationship.)
- Access to Justice Room at Family Court (Kapolei) The Access to Justice Room at the Ronald T.Y. Moon Kapolei Courthouse, 4675 Kapolei Parkway, Kapolei HI 96707 is open on the first and third Thursdays of every month, 11:30 to 1:30 p.m.
- Self Help Center (Maui) The Self Help Center located at Hoapili Hale, 2145 Main Street, Wailuku, HI is open on Thursdays, 9:00 a.m. to noon. Please contact Jennifer Oana, Nicole Forelli, or Judge Rhonda Loo at email@example.com to help.
- Self Help Center (Hilo) The Self Help Center located at Hale Kaulike, 777 Kilauea Avenue, first floor, Hilo, HI 96720-4212, is open on Tuesdays and Fridays from 11:15 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Please contact Jennifer L. Zelko-Schlueter at (808) 961-0406 or firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer.
- Self Help Center (Kauai) The Self Help Center located at Puuhonua, 3970 Kaana Street, Lihue, HI 96766, is open Monday and Friday, 9:00 a.m. to noon. Please contact Alton Amimoto, Deputy Chief Court Administrator, Fifth Circuit, (808) 482-2347 to volunteer.
- Self Help Desk (Kona) The Self Help Desk is located at the Kona Courthouse, Keakealani Building, 79-1020 Haukapila Street, Kealakekua, HI 96750 (located at the desk in the back of the Law Library). It is open on Wednesdays from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
American Civil Liberties Union of Hawaii
Domestic Violence Action Center
Ph. 531-3771 (1-800-690-6200)
Hawaii Appleseed Center on Law and Economic Justice
Hawaii Disability Rights Center
Ph. 949-2922 (1-800-882-1057)
Hawaii State Bar Association
Legal Aid Society of Hawaii
Ph. 536-4302 (1-800-499-4302)
Maximum Legal Services Corporation
Native Hawaiian Legal Corporation
University of Hawaii Elder Law Program
Volunteer Legal Services Hawaii
Oahu: 528-7046 Big Island: 313-8210 Maui: 727-8210 Kauai: 698-8210
Dispute Resolution Centers are:
Kauai Economic Opportunity
Ku`ikahi Mediation Center
Maui Mediation Services
The Mediation Center of the Pacific, Inc.
West Hawaii Mediation Center
Ph. 808-885-5525/ 808-326-2666